I always struggle with finding the perfect granola bar that isn’t loaded with sugar, actually contains a decent amount of protein, and has an ingredients list I can read or isn’t a whole paragraph long. One of my favorite things to do in the grocery store is compare labels of all of the “healthy” bars sitting on the shelves. Don’t get me wrong, there are some awesome bars out there but, being the nutrition nerd I am, I wanted to create my own that had everything I desperately searched for in a granola bar. (dramatic, but you get the idea)
These bars are low in sugar (but all natural), have a good amount of protein per serving, and are filled with healthy fats to keep us going. The mixture of chia seeds, oats, nut butter and almonds create sustainable energy throughout a busy day. And with no refined sugars or added soy you can’t feel guilty, even though I swear these taste like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. These. Are. So. Good!
**Feel free to use any type of nut butter instead of peanut! The recipe will be the same regardless of your choice 🙂
Here’s what you’ll need:
1/2 Cup Nut Butter (I suggest using the most natural you can find! Hint: ingredients are 100% peanuts/almonds/ect.)
1 1/2 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
1/4 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Dark Chocolate
4 Tbsp Chia Seeds
Dash of Sea Salt
1. Melt nut butter, honey, and chocolate on the stove. This will take just about 5 minutes so leave on medium heat and stir continuously until smooth and melted.
2. In a separate bowl, combine oats, almonds, chia seeds and salt. Pour wet ingredients over dry and toss/stir until everything is coated.
3. Line a square pan with parchment paper and press mixture into pan, spreading evenly.
4. Cover and place in the refrigerator until cooled and set.
5. Remove from pan and slice into squares (or bars) and serve!
PS- Keep refrigerated! But, I personally like keeping mine in the freezer in seperate baggies so you can grab them in the morning and they are perfect by the time you bite into them. 😉
Serves 12: 2 Squares: 236 Calories, 26g Carbs, 10g Fat, 5g Fiber, 9g Sugar, 8g Protein
*rough nutrition fact count*
These bars are great to have around for a grab and go breakfast or a snack!
Enjoy and comment below 🙂